The eighteen pot injector head.
This is the first image blog from Alexsander Savochkin in what we hope will become an expanding resource for those wishing to find out more about the design and construction of the A4/V2 missile. The precise 3D CAD model imagery is based exclusively on original drawings produced in Germany from 1940 to 1945. When enough material has been uploaded we will create a fixed menu item called ‘Anatomy of the V2‘ where we hope to be able to offer coverage of the entire missile in detailed 3D models like the ones shown here – Robert J. Dalby, editor in chief, V2 Rocket History.com
Click the above video to see an animation of the diffuser cup inner core (the animation may take a few seconds to show at maximum resolution).
The image gallery below has all the above pictures in higher resolution, some with additional text, as well as additional pictures not included in this post.
Photo showing Werk Süd with IW on the left and F1 on the right taken on 19th August 1943. The photo shows only light damage to the main halls, although F1 was actually hit at least 11 times, and hits to the separate single storey workshops to the right of the IW hall. The long storage (oil and paint?) shed above IW and the woodworking shop at the top of the picture appear undamaged. Anti-aircraft platforms (at least 3) can be seen on the roof of IW but that seem to be empty of guns. F1 shows two AAA platforms (there was at least 3 at this stage and maybe more) and they may have guns installed. General W. Dornberger mentions defensive AA artillery fire from the from the roof of F1 in his 1952 book V2 (1954 in English).
RAF reconnaissance photo showing the Werk Süd region with the F1 pre-production hall and to the north the IW repair and maintenance hall, centre right, and road rail links to Prüfstand XI (Test Stand 11, circular rampart centre left) heading directly left from F1. P-XI was conceived to provide engine test facilities for the nearby pre-production hall. Scroll down to see GPS map, the marker index is set to the centre of P-XI, click map and switch to satellite view and you will see that only a small section of the circular rampart remains visible. You can easily zoom out to cover the coast area where F1 and the equally large Repair & Maintenance Workshops are located. The area immediately surrounding P-XI is now contained within a commercial farming operation with sheep appearing to be the staple - or was anyway, at the time of our first visit to the vicinity in 2010 and our last in 2017 - none of the sheep seemed to recognise us though so they may have changed. (for access to restricted areas click here)
RAF Recce photo taken 21st August 1944 of region around F1. The GPS marker for this photo is pegged on the lowest of the three fire fighting cisterns clearly visible in the image (in the center about a third the way up from the bottom of the image). Scroll down below this text for map and switch to 'Satellite view' where the fire fighting cistern can still be clearly seen today.(for access to restricted areas click here)
Picture shows parts of V2 missile fin structure laying on open ground near area between admin offices and F1 (near Admin. block railway platform, see map).
Picture shows metal debris within the F1 factory boundary walls. The purpose of the part buried liquid storage vessel in the foreground is unknown but it is not a vessel capable of being pressurised. Other assorted metal debris include pipe and cable wall cleats, as well as steel armature rods from reinforced concrete castings (powerful demolition explosions have freed the steel rods from the concrete). These reinforcement rods are a common sight in the environs of Fertigungshalle Eins (F1) and the nearby Repair & Maintenance Hall (R&MH).
This picture shows a small debris field of steel fragments from the V2 missile 130m South-East of F1, and just 20m to the North East of the foundations of a small heat distribution building. Various body and frame parts can be seen and in the middle foreground a 350mm segment of curved missile body ring is visible. These parts have almost certainly been dug up and exposed by the action of metal detectorists. The metal fragments have been abandoned by their finders as they are perceived to have no financial value and hence are not worth removing from the site.
This picture shows a close up detail of parts in a small debris field of steel fragments from the V2 missile 130m South-East of F1, and just 20m to the North East of the foundations of a small heat distribution building. Various body and frame parts can be seen and in the upper left and two segments of curved missile body ring are visible. See previous.
Wooden carboy frame from WW2 (possibly used for transporting small quantities of corrosive and dangerous liquids employed in the V2 steam plant, (such as T-Stoff) laying among trees 190m East of F1 in a location used as an emergency rail freight loading area to F1 due to damage caused by US air raids in August 1944.
Wooden carboy frame from WW2 (possibly used for transporting small quantities of corrosive and dangerous liquids employed in the V2 steam plant (such a T-Stoff) laying among trees 190m East of F1 in a location used as an emergency rail freight loading area for F1 due to damage caused to rail track by US air raids in August 1944.
This picture shows Robert Dalby collecting GPS data with a mapping camera just North of the East end of the Admin office rail platform (near the ruins of the small admin/F1 heat distribution hub building). In all of our explorations we routinely collect GPS track and data points to be able to accurately locate finds and establish a precise correlation between areas of interest identified on historical reconnaissance photography and the modern ground terrain. In the picture Robert is pointing a Contour video camera at details of the terrain that automatically captures the camera's GPS location information. This data can then be combined with satellite imagery, via Google maps, and provide a detailed graphic mapping track alongside the video footage.
This video screen grab shows Robert about to climb the steps up onto the rail and road loading station 9 (also called Die Verladerampen or in English, The loading ramps). This storage and loading facility was never finished during the war and was intended to be a more elaborate with large storage buildings - but the pressure of war and constant use of the area prevented further development. The area is still surprisingly intact today with a strong correspondence between modern ground detail and historical reconnaissance photography.
V2 missile parts in F1 prisoner 'exercise' area. Image grab from Fertigungshalle Eins (F1) video.
V2 missile parts in F1 prisoner turn-out or 'free movement' area. The location referred to is a large triangular shaped area situated on the South-East side of the pre-propuction hall Fertigungshalle Eins (F1). The area was fenced off with a high barbed wire fence (a portion of which was electrified) with guard towers every 60 metres.
This image shows part of a pile of concrete castings that form the below ground foundations for part of the electrified fence that was built around F1 in the summer of 1943. The fence was built on the instructions of Arthur Rudolf, who was responsible for F1, by the first 200 forced labourers to arrive at the F1 labour camp in June 1943. These crude castings are the result of digging a narrow hole in the ground for the concrete fence post and filling the area around the post with the concrete mix. The sizable variation in the depths of the concrete castings, and the fact that in a number of casting blocks the post has plunged through the concrete mix and penetrated from 100 to 300mm into the ground below, strongly suggests this work was carried in hast and/or by men inexperienced in the normal procedures of this type of basic ground-work.
This image shows part of a pile of concrete castings that form the below ground foundations for part of the electrified fence that was built around F1 (see previous photo for details). You can see the area that these posts once secured in the second black and white recce image in this gallery. The fenced off area is the large triangular shape you can see joining the North-East South-East corners of F1 (ie the long wall of F1 facing the shore). Quite why and exactly when someone mustered men or machines to pluck these lumps of concrete out of the ground and move them 100 to 200m is beyond me - why not just bulldoze them under like everything else on this site?
Photo shows the remains of a shooting range built by the East German Army. In 1944 the area about 200m in front of the camera and to the left of this picture is the emergency rail-loading area used after US air raids in August damaged rail lines and other regular freight loading infrastructure. Today, it is a peaceful thoroughfare used mostly by deer and rabbits.
Photo shows a unique display at the Horst Beck Collection (HBC). Over many years Mr Horst Beck has painstakingly acquired and restored many A4-V2 missile parts - and in some cases, reassembled them into complete sub-assemblies. Shown here is part of the collection's hydraulic servos and trim motor parts display. In the foreground we see four hydraulic servos, and behind them their A frame mounting 'chairs'. The top shelf, from left to right, shows a servo with motor removed (and placed on its right). In the middle, two trim motors and chain sprocket gear-boxes for the aerodynamic trim surfaces on the trailing edge tips of fins 2 and 4. Next the pale green crank levers, the first longer one is for the hydraulic servo that controls the jet vanes and trimmers on fins 1 and 3. The shorter version minus the top horn, is used on the servos for fins 2 and 4. The last, silver coloured item,os a servo stabiliser (all the servos shown have one already fitted). Photo copyright: The Horst Beck Collection
Bomb damaged F1 factory 1945. The huge V2 rocket factory shown badly damaged by air attack at the end of the war in May 1945
A rare photo of the giant F1 production hall taken not long after the RAF raid of 17/18th August 1943. F1 was a forced labour camp with at least 600 prisoners living within the factory and at least eleven were killed in the raid. Parts of the electrified barbed wire fence can be seen close to the factory building, in the clearing in the middle of the photo. Two anti aircraft gun emplacements can be seen on the roof at the front of the building. Holes in the side walls of the upper vaults can be seen as well as the damage to lower vaults 9 and 10 (counting from left) from a direct hit in this region. Also of note are the numerous guy ropes, attached to the upper roof of the front of the building - and running down towards the trees, that are just visible in the photo. These may be supports for camouflage netting that was in the process of being fitted (by prisoner gangs) just before the raid. The work was never completed.